UMBC Interlibrary Loan Service
The Interlibrary Loan Service allows patrons to request materials needed for their research that are not owned by UMBC.
ILL is available at no charge to current UMBC faculty, students and staff. However, a cap may be set on the $ amount requested for payment.
Although Interlibrary Loan gives you access to many more resources, it may take longer than other means of access. The average delivery time is 5-10 business days. Always start your research early for the best results. You may want to contact the Reference Desk for assistance in locating other in-house or online materials.
Alerts / Announcements
- Books borrowed through Interlibrary Loan will not appear in your My Library Account which is accessed through the Library homepage or the online catalog.
- Reminder: Sorry, ILL does not borrow leisure or recreational reading.
Borrowing Books & Articles
- First, check catalogusmai. If the book appears there, it cannot be requested through ILL. (The only exception to this is for Reference or Reserves items.)
- If the book is owned by another USMAI library, you can request it through the catalog; if not, you can place an ILL request. Fill out the form as completely as possible and please check for errors before submitting.
- Books take an average of 1-2 weeks to arrive. You will be notified by email when your book arrives, and you can pick it up at the Circulation Desk.
- First, check our A-to-Z Journal List - it contains all of our print journal holdings, full-text articles in databases, and electronic journals. You'll need to search by the journal name, then navigate to the proper issue to see whether we own the article you need.
- If we do not have access to the article, then place an ILL request. Fill out the form as completely as possible and please check for errors before submitting.
- Articles arrive quickly, usually within a few hours or days. You will be notified by email when your article is delivered electronically to your ILLiad account.
Guidelines & Fees
Returning and Renewing
- ILL items must be returned to the UMBC Circulation Desk by the due date. Violation of due dates may result in limited or cancelled ILL privileges.
- Articles will be available in your ILLiad accounts for 30 days. Please save the article to a flash drive or your computer to avoid losing it after the due date.
- Renewals may be requested through ILLiad unless the lender has indicated otherwise. Requests for renewal should be made at least 2 days in advance of the item's due date. Only one renewal is allowed per item.
- ILL materials may be recalled from you at any time.
- Most loans last for 2 to 4 weeks; the period is set by the lending library. The due date is on the attached sleeve.
- Some materials may be designated "Library Use Only" by the lending institution.
- ILL materials may not be placed on reserve.
- UMBC charges a per item fine of $4.00 per day for overdue items, and future borrowing may be limited or possibly cancelled. In addition, fines, as well as other fees, may also be charged by the lending institution which will be passed on to the requestor.
- Registered Special Borrowers and UMBC Alumni may use the ILL service for a fee of $15 per filled request, but will also by required to pay any additional costs that may be charged by the supplying institutions.
Items Not Available Through ILL
- recently published books - you may want to suggest the book for purchase instead.
- leisure or recreational reading
- CDs, cassettes, LPs, DVDs, VHSs for personal use
- entire issues of journals, magazines, and newspapers
- reference materials
- test manuals and exam reviews
- computer software
- old (published prior to 1800) or rare books
Please note that these items may be very difficult to borrow:
- genealogy materials
- music scores
- Corporate technical reports and other in-house reports
- some high-demand and/or recent publications
- theses & dissertations: a few universities will not loan or copy them or restrict their use when they do
Info for Borrowing Libraries
UMBC ILL will accept requests through:
- OCLC: MUB
- Borrowing Libraries with OCLC symbol - Please
If you don't have an OCLC symbol, please:
- Contact the Interlibrary Loan office at 410-455-2234 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once you have a symbol please register by clicking on First Time Users
- Fill out the registration form - your OCLC symbol will be your username and you choose a password.
- You are ready to request!
Our lending fees are as follows:
|Library Type||per IFM request||per request invoiced|
|Not-for-profit in MD||$0||$0|
Rush requests are $10 in addition to the ILL charge.
Payments accepted via: IFM, invoice, or credit card (Credit Card Payment Form). Our Federal ID# is 52-6002033.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgement, fulfilment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
For comprehensive information, see the Copyright & Fair Use site maintained by Stanford University Libraries.
The ILL Office is open Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
|Phone: (410) 455-2234||Kuhn Library|
|Email: email@example.com||1000 Hilltop Circle|
|Fax: (410) 455-1061||Baltimore, MD 21250|